The Orange County Circuit Court
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United State Department of the interior 1975.
In the United States, circuit courts were first established in the British Thirteen Colonies. In 1789, the United States circuit courts were United States federal courts established in each federal judicial district. These circuit courts exercised both original (first instance) and appellate jurisdiction. They existed until 1912. The original jurisdiction formerly exercised by the United States circuit courts is now exercised by the United States district courts. Their appellate jurisdiction is now exercised by the United States courts of appeals, which were known as the United States circuit courts of appeals from its establishment in 1894 until 1947.
There is currently 1 judge serving in the Orange County Circuit Court. As a court of general jurisdiction, both county and circuit level cases are heard in the circuit.
There is currently 1 judge serving in the Orange County Circuit Court.
See job openings and apply online for positions within the Orange County Circuit Court.
Court House Security
Orange County’s first court was held in 1753 at the home of James Watson. In 1754 Hillsborough was established as the county seat, and the first courthouse of wood was built there the following year. A new brick building replaced the wooden one in 1782, and it burned in 1789.